A New Concept in Lot Design !
Selva Santa Fe Conservation Easement is pioneering a unique approach to the development of an upscale yet eco-friendly private natural reserve . Over 92% of our project area will be conserved to maintain its exciting natural habitat. To accomplish this, lots will have an average size of average 1.5 hectares (17.000 m2 or 3.8 acres), drastically cutting down on the need to build roads. Our main roads will be a practical 5 m. wide (15 ft.) instead of the wasteful 15 m. (45 ft.) you find in ordinary urban developments in Panama.
One each property, owners may build a home within the “build envelope” (BE), a carefully selected homesite. Accessed by a private driveway, these homesites are arranged to preserve and enhance the existing forest and maximize views. Roads, pathways and driveways arch through the landscape following as much as possible the natural topography of the land. The dense tropical forest and the informal network of hiking and horse riding trails are critical elements of the design. The ultra-low impact site development, along with strict tree retention policies ensure that the existing natural environment and its special character will be retained and enhanced.
Some items to note:
- You may have a private trail, as long as it is approved by the home owners association. Other residents are not allowed to use your private trail. Trees to be cut would be marked by SSF’s forest management experts.
- A community trail may cross your property. This trail is accessible only to other Selva Santa Fe owners, who are not allowed to step off the community trail onto your property.
- Outside of the building envelope you may build a rustic cabin, not to exceed 50 m2 (500 square feet), as long as it is not visible from off-site (other restrictions will apply).
- Building plans have to be approved and meet sustainable development standards based on the guidelines of Conservation International and the US building council LEED standards.
- By using a ‘conservation easement’ legal concept (called ”servidumbre ecologico” in Panama) are are able to define the rules within which individual homes can be build and where they will be build. What this means for you is a very important thing: no surprises! We don’t sell you on having your own private retreat and then change the rules half-way to make an extra buck by allowing higher density. Neither will you find yourself in a situation whereby a neighbor decides to add a very visible second home very close to yours. All the rules will be defined clearly in advance, will be legally enforced and cannot be changed. This assures that we will be able to preserve our original the concept of a truly ecological residential development in harmony with nature.
We plan a total of 50 lots in 3 different phases. The first development phase will include 12 lots, the hydroelectric power plant (using an existing water chamber and penstock), our lodge + all the the main roads and hiking trails on the remaining land. The 2nd phase will cover the development of the lots on the remaining land. By that time we also anticipate to be able to plan a 3rd phase by acquiring an adjacent forest of 200 hectares to add to our natural reserve.
A small airstrip for ultra-light planes is also planned for the 1st phase if we can reach agreement with a adjacent farmland owner. These ultra lights will also be used to monitor and support conservation efforts in nearby areas of the Cocle province which are under threat by illegal logging and even mining activities.
Lots in the first phase will have a sale price of $ 2-4/m2 and will include electric service, potable water and a building site with provisional access road.
The first 10 lots can be separated with a down payment of 50% in an escrow account. Financing may be available at a later stage.